[ltp] Disable PC speaker "emergency" sounds (R40)

b42 linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:10:38 +0100

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:42:53 +0000
Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> b42 wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:31:23 +0000
> > Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> >> Edit /etc/inputrc
> >>     set show-all-if-ambiguous on
> >>

> >> Bash completion is now much more helpful, and beeps far less often.
> >> You might even re-enable the beep, since it is now more relevant.
> >> The only distro that gets this right by default is Mandrake.
> >>
> >> Also, make sure you have the advanced bash-completion enabled
> >> (usually, by sourcing /etc/bash_completion in your. bashrc)
> >>

> >> Lastly, if using Konsole, you can configure the beep to be either
> >> a visible bell, or play a sound of your choice, or run a command.
> >> Run a command such as
> >>     sox -v 0.5  beep.wav - | aplay
> >> * Use sox, because it is much more rapid than Arts.
> >> * -v 0.5 to reduce the volume.
> >> * aplay, in order to use dmix, so multiple apps can share the
> >> soundcard.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> Richard
> >
> > Thanks for suggestions, but I think I'll keep the beeper turned off
> > at kernel level ... i'm happy that it didn't make a single beep
> > since i disabled it:) and even if it weren't so annoying i'm used
> > to work without the audible bell.
>

> OK - it's your machine - and your way to work. But do try the inputrc
> change (then start a new shell) - it makes things *much* more
> pleasant. Combined with bash-completion, (the advanced one), you can
> do things like this:
>
> Create empty directory, and change into it.
> touch a_file
> mkdir a_dir
> cd a_[TAB]		#completes to a_dir,
> 			#because it is unambiguous in context
>
> touch  b_x
> touch  b_y
>
> ls b[TAB]		#bash will now print b_x and b_y, and then
> give #you the prompt back so you can type the next
> 			#letter. Try it...
>

> ls c[TAB]		#the bell will ring. The bell now ONLY means:
> 			#"There are no possible completions", and no
> 			#longer could mean "there is more than one
> 			# possible completion".
>
> killall moz[TAB]	#completes to killall mozilla (if it's
> running) ssh hos[TAB]		#completes on hostname
> (from .ssh/known_hosts)
>

> Richard

Ok, tried, good thing - saves one tab:) Yes, i use the advanced bash
completion, saves lot of typing - but you have problem if you have to
do something on a machine where it's not installed ...
Thanks for the tip & examples

 -- b42