[ltp] T60 and Network

Thomas Finneid linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 01 Sep 2006 09:40:23 +0200

Brad Langhorst wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 11:33 +0200, Thomas Finneid wrote:
>
>> By accident I noticed that if the hardisk is doing some working, as in
>> full throttle work, the ping response times drops to the normal 20-40
>> ms, as soon as the harddisk stops doing any work I experience the
>> network jitter again. I dont know if its the fact that the disk is
>> working or if its because of the processor having higher load (havent
>> found a suitable cpu test to confirm/contradict that last part yet) It
>> might also be because of some device io, or a timerinterrupt which is
>> disabled during device io.
>
> maybe it's a C state problem?
> i've seen some network drivers be unable to deal the cpu slowing down.

By C state are talking about the cpus powersave states, C1, C2 etc?
It could have something to do with that, allthough I think I set the
governor to performance adn I am not using any explicit powersaving. But
that does not mean fault could not be because the cpu is trhottling
itself through idle cycles. Maybe its an ACPI problem connected to
laptopmode which affects the cpu C states.

worth looking into, thanks for the tip.

thomas