[ltp] Newbie video questions

Hans Bostrom linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:49:31 +0200

Final roundup for this post: So, thanks to Alex, I found simple
solutions to my previous problems.

1. From a previous email, reducing color depth was enough to get
hardware 3D rendering.

2. For enabling Fn-F7, reducing the screen resolution did the trick! It
now works whether I edit xorg.conf from startup or just use the built-in
GUI in Ubuntu ("Screen Resolution"). Anything from 1280x1024 and smaller
works.

3. dmesg told me that ACPI indeed was disabled, due to "BIOS age (1999)
fails cutoff (2000)". Strange since my BIOS is dated 2004... Anyway,
adding "acpi=force" to grub menu.lst solved that problem. (The only
thing that didn't work was the suggestion by David to use "sudo echo
0xffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey" -> this command gave me a "permission
denied" even after forcing acpi. But I don't seem to need that command
anyway.)

This procedure left me with a new question, and I'll throw it in here at
the end: dmesg also told me that "local APIC" was disabled but I could
enable it by adding lapic to menu.lst. Do I want to do this? I did a
quick search, but I'm not quite sure what the benefits (and risks) of
enabling local APIC might be?

Once more thanks for all the help, and special thanks to Alex!

/Hans