[ltp] T30 2.6.17.8, Ububntu Dapper, /dev/hdc not created??

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:31:08 -0500

kaens wrote:
> another clue: cat /var/log/syslog | grep CD has this line in it:
>
> localhost NetworkManager: <debug info>^I[1157145816.816341]
> nm_hal_device_removed (): Device removed (hal udi is
> '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_HL_DT_STCD_RW/DVD_DRIVE_GCC_4240N')
>

> which means hal is removing my /dev/hdc? ... Now I need to figure out
> how to find out why it's doing that, and how to fix it (also why
> that's reported by NetworkManager??)

Why not try recompiling your kernel to have ide-cd as a module?  I
noticed that you are not also getting UDMA(33) when your drive is
detected, so maybe there is a problem communicating with the drive.  I
would eject and re-insert the drive first, and if that didn't change
anything I would recompile the kernel.

I have a T30, same cd drive, Debian Etch, ide-cd as a module, and no
problems with hal/udevd/udev here.

wes