[ltp] Re: Best Wireless Headphone with Thinkpad and Linux?

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 14:42:49 -0400

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 03:10:56PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Jiang Qian <qian2@fas.harvard.edu> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > I take this horror story to mean that I have slim chance of getting
> > bluetooth stereo headphone to work under linux at all. Is that
> > correct?
>
> Probably.  a2dp support doesn't seem to be present in any recent
> distributions which suggests that, basically, it is still to
> experimental or unpopular to be easy to acquire.
>
> If you don't care about stereo you can get SCO working happily today,
> though, in at least the Ubuntu distribution.  Perhaps giving up stereo
> is, for the moment, the lesser evil?
What is SCO? Well since I use headphone to listen to the music, so the
lesser evil is surely the wired stereo not the wireless mono.

> > Is there any other stereo wireless headphone(no bluetooth, some older
> > tech) working under linux at all, such as thos 900MHz headphone?  Why
> > is this so difficult? I don't even need to have long range, just a
> > couple of feet between my head and my thinkpad.
>
> Well, anything that plugs into a stereo line level or headphone output
> will be perfectly supported by Linux, because it will not be
> distinguishable.
>
> Here in Australia, at least, that sort of tool is relatively available
> for uses such as "watching television in privacy" or whatever.
Could you be more specific? Are those things too bulky to carry around
with my laptop?

> You might consider investigating USB connected wireless headphones as
> well.  While I have no experience with them it seems ... pointless for
> the vendors to have disregarded the standard audio USB profile, in which
> case it should "just work" with the standard drivers.
>
> Of course, knowing USB device vendors, I expect that there are a dozen
> incompatible wireless headphone "standards" because each vendor used
> their own proprietary protocol to lock out the opposition or whatever.

I'd be most grateful if you can give me at least one model number, then
I can follow up through similar models. Thanks.
Jiang