[ltp] dapper on t43 - power manager problem

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:55:32 -0400

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 11:42, after a long battle with
technology, Domas Monkus wrote:
> Recently the power manager [on my Ubuntu Dapper T43] stopped
> responding to the power state - it just reports whatever state the
> system was in when booting up. I didn't notice any updates that could
> have broken this

There's really not enough info here to make a diagnosis.  Which "power
manager" are you using?  cpufreqd?  Something else?  Is there anything
weird regarding power management in the output from dmesg?
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html is snarky, but valuable.
Read it to learn what tech-support people want to know so that they can
help you.

I am not sure if this is related, but I recently updated the kernel on
my T42p and ran into a similar problem.  2.6.15.6 -> cpufreqd worked
fine.  2.6.17.11 -> cpufreqd failed to start on boot.  Very
similar .config files (make oldconfig.)  After a bunch of misleading
error messages and providing cpufreq.debug=3 to the kernel, I found
that building speedstep-centrino *directly into the kernel* failed
miserably, while it worked just fine as a module.  (Kernel bug?  Build
script bug?  It shouldn't be happening, I think.)

--
   Jesus is the best radio producer in the beans.  We need some saliva
   and pickles to get mad.   --MegaHAL, "The Best of MegaHAL"