[ltp] Moving Windows to secondary disk

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 18:37:34 +0300

Hi,

My T43 is configured for dual-boot, but I'm using the Windows
partition (a shrunk-down preinstall) extremely rarely and would like
to free up the diskpace.

Is it possible to move the whole Windows partition from the system
disk to an UltraBay disk or (better yet) an external USB disk, and
still have it boot when selected in the F12 BIOS menu? I guess all the
driver identifiers will change, and I have no idea how that works in
Windows.

Of course, the Linux analog is roughly as exciting as
# dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
# partprobe /dev/sdb
# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
# perl -i -pe 's/sda/sdb/' /mnt/etc/fstab /mnt/boot/grub/grub.conf
# grub-install --root-directory=/mnt sdb   # is this necessary?
# reboot

  Shem