[ltp] Moving Windows to secondary disk

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:22:11 -0400

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 18:37 +0300, Shem Multinymous wrote:

> Is it possible to move the whole Windows partition from the system
> disk to an UltraBay disk or (better yet) an external USB disk,

This is supposedly possible, despite Microsoft's denials, but I could
not get it to work. I decided I was happy with Windows 2000 inside QEMU
after wasting a weekend trying to get XP to boot from a USB disk. It
either flat out refused to install to the USB disk, hung on boot (before
the splash came up, after ntdetect.com ran I understand), or, worst yet,
_ignored_ my selection and (almost) formatted my Linux partition. I
could not help but think to myself how much easier a USB boot would have
been for Linux.
--
Andrew Barr | http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew/

"Buzzword detected (core dumped)"