[ltp] Moving Windows to secondary disk

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 07 Sep 2006 15:00:19 -0400

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 21:34 +0300, Shem Multinymous wrote:
> Just found this:
>   http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176
> Amazingly ugly... That's for a fresh installation, so maybe things are
> easier when moving an existing installation.

Don't be so sure. I tried installing in QEMU onto the raw USB disk
(/dev/sda) and when booting on real hardware it would just hang.
Amazingly, with a stock XP SP1 CD (no .ini or ntdetect.com hackery) it
will copy the initial files to the USB disk (on real hardware) but when
it tries to do the initial boot you get STOP 0x7b, which I understand is
"unaccessible boot device".

There's some information out there about that error and what can be done
about it, but the solutions are no less ugly that the one above. There's
a modified ntdetect.com file floating around out there that supposedly
can boot from USB devices. However, it is 71 KB over the original file's
43 KB, and to boot it's a ASCII-Hex encoded file in a web forum post
text (i.e. not an attachment). How's that for ugly? ;-)

> Anyway, I'll try John's automagical solution for the UltraBay disk.

I would if I were you too!