[ltp] EC dump information for A3x/X3x/T3x Thinkpads: results

Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:05:07 -0300

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> This information will be used to improve ibm-acpi to do the right thing, and
> return all available sensors in newer Thinkpads (which support up to 16
> sensors, as we know from ThinkWiki, although we have had no reports of
> models with more than 11 sensors so far).

Here's what has been found by this study:

Thinkpads with the new-style EC (those which, after being updated to the
latest BIOS and EC firmware, have the EC firmware revision DMI string)
support the 16 sensors sanely: either the sensors are supported, and those
that do not exist read 0x80, or the entire C0-C7 range is always zero.

Older ThinkPads, with older style ECs, can have extraneous information in
registers C0-C7 (eg. T20).

I have written a patch for ibm_acpi, and I am testing it.  I will post it
here and to the wiki for some beta testing later on.  The patch *requires*
a DMI patch that is included in the tp_smapi tarball, and already accepted
for -mm kernels.

  Henrique Holschuh