[ltp] Setting up a Thinkpad 770 for Linux

ted frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 07:41:46 +0000

thinkpadr31@lkv.mailshell.com wrote:

> Both batteries are dead - I get the 173 and 163 error codes.
>
> I proceed to set the internal clock.   I see the laptop reboot to a
> system splash screen with Off and On icons.   I'm afraid I don't know
> how to address what I see except to turn it off and repeat the clock
> setting process all over.
>
> I hope I won't need to actually get a working clock battery - I just
> want to install Damn Small Linux or perhaps BeatrIX.
>
> Thanks for reading!

There will be others that have the expertise with the software,
I can help you with the hardware.
Im not sure exactly where the cmos battery is on the 770,
but any thinkpad is worth a new one!!.
Go to  google and type in thinkpad 770 cmos battery replacement.
 Its designed to be easy.
It will be a 3volt  lithium button cell with a lead. and tiny plug.
 a 5 min job on most thinkpads.