[ltp] linux on my T43p

Grasshopper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:59:24 +0900

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 15:39 +0200, Pino Giaquinto wrote:
> Now there is still Windows XP on my T43p :-(
> If I set in my BIOS 'Predesktop Area' to Normal, Secure or Disable... I see
> (using linux fdisk) the same amount of cylinders (10337), heads (240) and
> sectors (63)!
> My disk is 80 GB with just 1 partition: /dev/hda1 (bootable).
> I not see others partitions!
> Besides... if I press 'Access IBM' button on boot, Rescue and Recovery
> starts...
I am no expert, but if Rescue and Recovery starts that indicates that
you still have your 'predesktop area' is still available.

> The questions are:
> 1) is there still the hidden area/partition on my HD or have I lost it?
No you have not lost it.  Read Igor V. Rafienko's mail again.  He
suggest that you should make copies of the factory state before you do
anything else. I would definitely agree with him.

I'm not sure about Debian, but I know that under SuSE install you will
be given the option of keeping the IBM section or you can toast it.

Sometime last year I decided to wipe MS and IBM completely, and install
SuSE 10.  A few weeks later, I had to install XP again.  I tried using
the IBM cd which I had bought from IBM; they were very expensive.

They did not work. I had an old XP cd from a gateway I used to have, and
decided to give it a try.  It actually worked.  I installed xp and then
put in the first IBM rescue and recovery and I was back in business.

> 2) if I have lost the content of this area, and if I write on MBR... and
> tomorrow I want to re-install just Windows XP... can then still use 'Access
> IBM' button to start Rescue and Recovery?
> 3) Where can I  find a MBR image from internet?
>
> Please help me... I wish to install Linux on my notebook!

Best.

Grasshopper