[ltp] What about XGL/Compiz experiencies on a T42

Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:19:57 -0400

On 9/14/06, M Daniel R Magarzo <4.magarzo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
> I'm just curious about whether someone has tried XGL on a ThinkPad T42
> or similar (T4x), whether it is really possible or maybe it depends on
> the amount of video card RAM memory of each TP..., or maybe just it is
> impossible... Actually I've never read anything about this.
>
> Does someone has tried that successfully?
>
> I'm particularly interested in Fedora Core 5 experiences (if any); my TP
> comes with an ATI RV350 Mobility Radeon 9600 M10 with 64 MB of memory.
>
> I'd like to know -before to try anything- whether my hardware would have
> any possibility or would worth it.

I'm running compiz via aiglx using xorg 7.1 and the opensource radeon
driver on my t41p (M10, 128 MB) and it works fine; very stable.  also
works fine on various desktop cards.  it also works on my m6 in my
other laptop, but since it only has 8 MB or ram I'm limited to 512x512
textures which produces some "interesting" effects.  the major gotchas
with compiz are support for rectangular textures and double buffered
root visuals.

Alex