[ltp] Power saving: self-compiled vs. binary

Matthias Redlich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:17:39 +0200

Hello,

in general there are two different package management systems:

* systems like apt/rpm using binary packages
* systems like ports in Gentoo where every single package has to be compiled before installation

For sure both systems have their own advantages and I do not want to start a new flame-war. The question I am interested in is whether there are significant advantages concerning power saving when you compile your system from scratch with optimization flags for your CPU or not. Has anybody ever measured that? What do you think about that?

Regards
Matthias