[ltp] What about XGL/Compiz experiencies on a T42

Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:38:36 -0400

On 9/18/06, M Daniel R Magarzo <4.magarzo@gmail.com> wrote:
> El jue, 14-09-2006 a las 17:19 -0400, Alex Deucher escribi=F3:
>

> > I'm running compiz via aiglx using xorg 7.1 and the opensource radeon
> > driver on my t41p (M10, 128 MB) and it works fine; very stable.  also
> > works fine on various desktop cards.  it also works on my m6 in my
> > other laptop, but since it only has 8 MB or ram I'm limited to 512x512
> > textures which produces some "interesting" effects.  the major gotchas
> > with compiz are support for rectangular textures and double buffered
> > root visuals.
> >
> > Alex
> >

> So please.., I suppose that the resolution in your T41p is the native
> one (1400x1050 ?) ... isn't it?

yes running at the native 1400x1050 resolution.

> BTW, I didn't know that these effects could be reached just with the
> Open Source radeon driver, since everywhere they talk about installing
> the ATI proprietary driver previously. If not, is there enough
> 3D-acceleration there?

Open driver works fine and provides good acceleration.  I've never used fgl=
rx.

> Your experiences/tests with your "other laptop" are really
> incredible :-) You really are a computer lover, man! It is said that
> often ... reality exceeds fiction.

The improved vram memory manager that's being worked on now should
help for tight situations like the 8MB cards.  It will also be nice,
where applicable, to better utilize AGP for depth buffers and
additonal textures.  We'll get there eventually.

> Thank you

no problem.

Alex