[ltp] X60s high pitch sound

Martin Lorenz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:10:38 +0200

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 10:44:27AM -0400, Justin Mazzola Paluska wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 04:26:47PM +0200, Martin Lorenz wrote:

> > > make a bios upgrade
> >
> > well this seems to be non-trivial on a X60
>
> I used the BIOS Update Bootable CD available from
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-63145
>  .  I think the bootable CD is a new thing, but it made the upgrade
> trivial.
> 	???Justin

was quite some work for me :-|
but finally did it
maybe this hack is dirty, but it works, even if your USB CDROM is not
recognized by freeDOS and you can't boot the IBM image

I finally copied the falsh utility onto the service partition (sda2 in my
case) and bootet from CDROM to get direct access.

than I had to enable NETWORK flashing to get it working (no idea why)
but now it's done

but hte high pitch noise is still there

and right now the book is REALLY quiet for the very first time
no disk, no fan, nothing

when I have the second core online I can go down to about 10000 mW
but the noise from the cpu is annoying
when it's offline the best I can get is 12000 mW

gruss
  mlo
--
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Lorenz