[ltp] X60s: Sound gone after FC5 yum update

Atul Chitnis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:14:23 +0530 (IST)

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Richard Neill wrote:

> Do you have /dev/dsp?

Yep

> If so,
> cat /dev/random > /dev/dsp
> should make a noise. Then you need to fix KDE.

No noise :(

> Else
> do you have the right sound module loaded?

I suspect so, since it is the same module (snd-hda-intel) that was being
used *before* the yum update, and that is still the module that is being
loaded.

Here's the weird one though - I can use xmms, change the prefs to use
alsa, then switch default device to HDA Intel: AD198x Analog (hw:0,0) and
xmms plays.

But if I try to play a WAV file from the command line use sox' "play"
(even as root):

# play question.wav
ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1632:(snd_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) Unknown field
ipc_sem
sox: Failed writing default: cannot open audio device

# ls -al /dev/dsp
crw------- 1 root root 14, 3 Sep 20 19:15 /dev/dsp

Running snd-config-soundcard lets me hear the sample sound, but kde's
sound system won't play ball with it (it did before the yum update).

Thanks for any inputs!

Atul