[ltp] Trying to eject ultrabay slim locks computer.

Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:23:41 +0100

Barny Sanchez wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to eject my ultrabay by typing echo eject
>> /proc/acpi/ibm/bay)and I see the power light of my ultrabay go off,
> but the entire computer locks up.  I have no other choice than to
> manually power it down and back up again.

In sequence:

1)You must stop accessing the device. Unmount it.

2)Use idectl to stop the IDE channel.

3)Then eject the bay in software

4)Then eject the hardware physically.

Pretty much the same, in reverse, to insert.

Note 1: lt_hotswap automates some of this.
Note 2: you can use acpi events, triggered by the eject button, to
  automate.
Note 3: Depending on kernel, you may not have DMA working after an
eject-insert cycle. IIRC, you need >= 2.6.16 for this. See thinkwiki
on Ultrabay.

HTH,

Richard

Either use idectl manually, or