[ltp] Re: 2.6.18 delays switch to text console

Elias Oltmanns linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:12:48 +0200

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> I am playing around with 2.6.18, and I noticed something rather strange.
>
> I regularly switch from X to the text console (also, for hibernating).
> 2.6.18 is adding a big delay, of 5s or so, during which the screen is
> completely blank.  After the delay, the regular console text appears.

I haven't installed it yet; but I just stumbled upon this:

Enable firmware EDID (FIRMWARE_EDID) [Y/n/?] (NEW) ?

This enables access to the EDID transferred from the firmware.
On the i386, this is from the Video BIOS. Enable this if DDC/I2C
transfers do not work for your driver and if you are using
nvidiafb, i810fb or savagefb.

In general, choosing Y for this option is safe.  If you
experience extremely long delays while booting before you get
something on your display, try setting this to N.  Matrox cards in
combination with certain motherboards and monitors are known to
suffer from this problem.

Perhaps, this may also be the cause of your problem?

Regards,

Elias