[ltp] generic acpi bay support for 2.6.18

Whoopie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 16:58:58 +0200

Hi,

I tested the generic acpi bay patch which was posted on acpi-devel ml.
The advantage of this generic bay support is that an inserted drive is
also recognized even if the bay was empty on boot (this didn't work with
ibm_acpi bay support).

I needed two patches:

1. Patch from ml:
http://whoopie.gmxhome.de/linux/patches/2.6.18/01-acpi-removable_bay-for-2.6.18.patch
2. my patch for ibm_acpi to disable bay support:
http://whoopie.gmxhome.de/linux/patches/2.6.18/04-ibm_acpi-bay-for-2.6.18.patch

You need to compile the dock and bay driver both as module or both
built-in. The Kconfig doesn't enforce this until now.

I made the needed changes in the thinkwiki article
(http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_UltraBay_devices#Scripts_for_hotswapping).
Now, both ways are supported, ejecting bay with generic bay or ibm_acpi.

Feedback welcome.

Best regards,
Whoopie