[ltp] Which distro will have the best ThinkPad (T60) support?

Brian Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:48:42 -0500

------=_Part_29613_26211281.1158958122578

Between (Open)Suse 10.2 and Ubuntu Edgy Eft, which one is most likely to
have the better "out-of-box" experience on a ThinkPad T60 (T2400, ATI
X1400)?

I am trying to decide which Linux distro to choose. I want something that
mostly works out of the box on my ThinkPad as much as possible. I am not
totally opposed to installing patches and rebuilding kernels, but I would
prefer to just hold out for (Open)Suse 10.2 or Ubuntu Edgy Eft if they have
everything working out of the box.

I have a T60 (T2400) with an ATI X1400 graphics chip. Multimedia performance
is basically a non-issue for me as long as I can simply watch a DVD with
nothing going on in the background--I have no need for advanced sound
features or any 3D graphics. My main concerns are power management, and the
ability to use VMWare Workstation to effectively host Windows XP Home. Also,
I would like Rescue and Recovery to be able to at least restore my Windows
partition through the Thinkvantage button in the pre-boot process.

Regards,
Brian

------=_Part_29613_26211281.1158958122578

Between (Open)Suse 10.2 and Ubuntu Edgy Eft, which one is most likely to have the better &quot;out-of-box&quot; experience on a ThinkPad T60 (T2400, ATI X1400)?<br><br>I am trying to decide which Linux distro to choose. I want something that mostly works out of the box on my ThinkPad as much as possible. I am not totally opposed to installing patches and rebuilding kernels, but I would prefer to just hold out for (Open)Suse
10.2 or Ubuntu Edgy Eft if they have everything working out of the box.<br><br>I have a T60 (T2400) with an ATI X1400 graphics chip. Multimedia performance is basically a non-issue for me as long as I can simply watch a DVD with nothing going on in the background--I have no need for advanced sound features or any 3D graphics. My main concerns are power management, and the ability to use VMWare Workstation to effectively host Windows XP Home. Also, I would like Rescue and Recovery to be able to at least restore my Windows partition through the Thinkvantage button in the pre-boot process.

------=_Part_29613_26211281.1158958122578--