[ltp] Which distro will have the best ThinkPad (T60) support?

Brian Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:59:39 -0500

------=_Part_21213_32901886.1159369179751

On 9/27/06, Florian Manschwetus <florianmanschwetus@gmx.de> wrote:

> Jon Dowland schrieb:
> > At 1159114315 past the epoch, Johannes Boy wrote:
> >> But either way, I'm afraid you need to recompile the
> >> kernel on both system to make the USB subsystem a module
> >> and unload it on hibernate/sleep... I guess every distro
> >> compiles this stuff straight into the kernel and in most
> >> cases it will mess up the hibernation.
> >
> > I don't believe this is true. On Debian, the USB subsystem
> > is entirely modular, or do you mean something other than
> > usbcore and {e,u,o}hci_hcd?  I've just booted the only
> > ubuntu system I have to hand (which is the vmware-modified
> > browser applience) and it's the same there.
> >

> I only can repeat take gentoo and setup your system the way you need, my
> t60 runs 100% perfect.
> florian

Thanks for the responses, everybody.

On Gentoo, are you getting the same battery performance as is typical on
Windows? And, which ATI driver is better for battery life, regardless of
performance? Right now, I am doing my Linux development on
Ubuntu-on-VMWare-on-Windows because that seems to be the best Linux
configuration for maximum battery life. I have seen lots of messages about
patches to provide better power management support on ThinkPads, but I
haven't seen that applying those patches will result in Windows-like battery
performance. Plus, eventually there should be a kernel release that has all
those patches included--I guess that is what I am really waiting for.

I am hesitant to try Gentoo again because last time I tried it, it was a lot
of work and a LOT of waiting around for things to compile. I am a software
developer but I don't have any desire to hack on the Linux kernel or build a
custom configuration. I prefer to have a standard configuration as much as
possible as it makes it easier to diagnose and fix problems later.

I was hoping that at least Suse would have reached the point where it was
download-and-go on ThinkPads due to their deal with Lenovo. Apparently that
is not the case yet, right?

Thanks,
Brian