[ltp] 380XD upgrading.

cloakable linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:26:01 +0100

--nextPart1286184.TZpjoh7CyM

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 6:55 pm, Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 18:13 +0100, cloakable wrote:
> > My old 380XD broke, but I've found a new one on eBay. My main question
> > before I buy it is how upgradable they are. Do they have any means for =
me
> > to add something like a miniPCI card, a new CPU, etc. I know the maximum
> > RAM is 96Mb, and I'm going to fit a 40Gb HDD, but what else is
> > upgradable?
>
> The CPU is on a card, so it *might* be upgradable if you could find a
> card with a faster processor, but I don't think you'd be able to do much
> else with it.  A 40GB hard drive should work fine - I once installed
> Fedora onto a laptop with no external/internal drives (and no USB
> booting) by swapping the 40GB drive into my old 380XD for the install.
>
> The real problem with the 380XD is RAM.  96MB pretty well means that
> using it with modern desktops is out.  For what it's worth, my 380XD
> runs 24/7 and has done so for some time now, running a webcam.

I'm going to to be using something like either a scratch Linux install,=20
Xubuntu, or Ubuntu server with a nice WM - IceWM looks nice. Does the model=
=20
have a miniPCI card (I'm guessing not, or you would have mentioned it).

Also, lightweight apps are the order of the day here - dillo instead of=20
=46irefox, Ayttm instead of Kopete/Gaim, etc. On that order, any ideas on g=
ood=20
lightweight apps?