[ltp] 380XD upgrading.

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:56:25 -0400

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 19:26 +0100, cloakable wrote:

> I'm going to to be using something like either a scratch Linux install,
> Xubuntu, or Ubuntu server with a nice WM - IceWM looks nice. Does the model
> have a miniPCI card (I'm guessing not, or you would have mentioned it).

As far as I know, the 380XD doesn't have a miniPCI slot.  IBM's hardware
maintenance manual for the 380XD doesn't mention one, either.  The two
PCMCIA slots on the side work with 32-bit cards, though - so wireless is
still an option.

> Also, lightweight apps are the order of the day here - dillo instead of
> Firefox, Ayttm instead of Kopete/Gaim, etc. On that order, any ideas on good
> lightweight apps?

The funny thing is that when I used the 380XD (until its battery finally
died completely and wouldn't hold even a one second charge), I actually
used *openoffice.org* (1.x series).  Loading it took forever, but once
it was running it worked well - provided that I didn't have too many
embedded 600dpi images.  I needed compatibility with PCs at work more
than I needed speed.

I used XFCE as a desktop, and with a fast drive (relative to the
original - I used a 5400RPM Travelstar in my 380XD), the speed wasn't so
bad.

I also used dillo and (more often) Mozilla - which for some strange
reason was faster than the "leaner" Firefox.

If you want pain, though, try running openoffice on a 701c.  Go on.  I
dare ya! :)

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com