[ltp] Re: Which distro will have the best ThinkPad (T60) support?

Donald B. Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:57:35 -0400

** Reply to message from David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> on Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:58:57 -0400

Hello,

> And my problem with SuSE was that within minutes of having installed
> it, I had put the package manager into a state of confusion.  That's
> simply unacceptable to me.  Ubuntu's package management, with the use
> of checkinstall and other tools, has been really solid for me.

As a long-time satisfied SuSE user, I was horrified at the problems with
package management in 10.1,  While they have been fixed, a wonderful
workaround is to install the SMART package manager, which to me is like Ubuntu's
on steroids.  There are many documents on the web about how to install it
on SuSE 10.1.  You could Google for "suse 10.1 smart" or start with:

http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Smart

Good luck,

Don A

--