[ltp] 380XD upgrading.

cloakable linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:31:46 +0100

--nextPart1232012.iydP7BpoKi

On Thursday 28 September 2006 12:56 am, Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 19:26 +0100, cloakable wrote:
> > I'm going to to be using something like either a scratch Linux install,
> > Xubuntu, or Ubuntu server with a nice WM - IceWM looks nice. Does the
> > model have a miniPCI card (I'm guessing not, or you would have mentioned
> > it).
>
> As far as I know, the 380XD doesn't have a miniPCI slot.  IBM's hardware
> maintenance manual for the 380XD doesn't mention one, either.  The two
> PCMCIA slots on the side work with 32-bit cards, though - so wireless is
> still an option.

Yeah, I know :) Got a WLAN PCMCIA card already, but I could have lived with=
out=20
a card sticking from the inside of my laptop. :P Oh well, I'll live.

> > Also, lightweight apps are the order of the day here - dillo instead of
> > Firefox, Ayttm instead of Kopete/Gaim, etc. On that order, any ideas on
> > good lightweight apps?
>
> The funny thing is that when I used the 380XD (until its battery finally
> died completely and wouldn't hold even a one second charge), I actually
> used *openoffice.org* (1.x series).  Loading it took forever, but once
> it was running it worked well - provided that I didn't have too many
> embedded 600dpi images.  I needed compatibility with PCs at work more
> than I needed speed.

Yeah, I need speed a fair bit - I'm not going to be doing any word processi=
ng=20
(I don't even do that on my desktop), but I will be listening to music,=20
watching videos, etc. And speaking of battery, how much time can I expect=20
from one at the most? With powersaving, etc.

> I used XFCE as a desktop, and with a fast drive (relative to the
> original - I used a 5400RPM Travelstar in my 380XD), the speed wasn't so
> bad.

Yeah. I may go with Xubuntu, then. Having a prebuilt desktop will help, plu=
s=20
the Ubuntu archives, updates, etc. And how bad is not to bad? My previous=20
380XD used the fluxbox WM, is that lighter than XFCE?

> I also used dillo and (more often) Mozilla - which for some strange
> reason was faster than the "leaner" Firefox.

Kazehakase seems to be a good browser, small, light, and supports tabs. Goi=
ng=20
to test it on my main desktop, see how well it works. I was going to instal=
l=20
Galeon, looking at the 1552k install, then I saw the galeon-common package =
at=20
9M :P Kazehakase is only 1728k, with no nasty surprises :)

> If you want pain, though, try running openoffice on a 701c.  Go on.  I
> dare ya! :)

:) I think I'll give that a miss :P I guess the 701c has less than 64MB RAM?