[ltp] 380XD upgrading.

cloakable linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:10:17 +0100

--nextPart2720437.roKEtPmA0e

On Thursday 28 September 2006 12:20 pm, Richard Neill wrote:

> The Gnome office suite (abiword,gnumeric) is quite lightweight,
> especially if you are using GTK stuff anyway.
>
> XMMS for music, mplayer for video.

I was wondering is xfmedia is any good. It seems to play both audio and vid=
eo,=20
and is based on xine, which I know is good.

> Try also CLI apps:
>    antiword, links, play, nano.

Unless I really have to, I'd rather skip CLI programs for GUI ones - I'm go=
od=20
with the CLI, yes, but GUI is mainly mouse (or trackpoint) powered, which i=
s=20
easier.

> For email, you could use pine. Otherwise, the mozilla suite (seamonkey)
> is actually faster than firefox+thunderbird, especially if you use the
> GTK-1 build.

I was thinking of Sylpheed for email. Worked well on last laptop.

> bash-completion is really worth having.
>
> For more lightweight apps, look at the ones provided by DSL or
> puppylinux. Actually, you could just run one of those.

True, but in the case of DSL, I would like to be able to run apt-get dist=20
upgrade without breaking the system, and I prefer APT based distributions -=
=20
the last time I used RPM from an online repository it was a nightmare. Took=
=20
~15 mins to scan the repository, not counting the time it took me to get it=
=20
all set up. With APT, I uncommented the universe and multiverse archives, a=
nd=20
ran apt-get update. 1 min later, I'm done.

Though I will look at those distros - they may give me ideas on what to=20
install on Xubuntu.

> Make sure you have lots of swap (either a partition, or a swapfile). You
> can add a swapfile as and when needed if you wish. Ideally, you want to
> avoid swapping, but it's so much better than crashing! Also, you can
> then keep several background applications open, but swapped out
I plan on having about 192MB swap as a partition. Double my RAM.