[ltp] DVD reader/writer replacing CD reader/writer

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:52:42 +0200

jcms wrote:

>    I'd like to replace the CD reader/writer in my A30P ( yes it is an old machine but it is working really well and the screen resolution is just wonderful ) with a DVD/CD reader/writer.

This machine comes equipped with an UltraBay 2000 slot just like my T23.

>    o is that possible ?

Check out www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_build_your_own_UltraBay_drive
for some working examples. Especially take a look at the examples for
the NEC ND 65x0 drives.

>    o has anybody done that ?

I've replaced the DVD-ROM UltraBay 2000 drive in my T23 with a NEC ND
7550 DVD-/+ and DVD-RAM drive just a few months ago. The main problem
was finding a front bezel matching the dimensions of the UltraBay 2000
layout. While it was easy to find the UltraBay 2000 frame to convert any
standard slimline drive to the IBM norms, the bezel shipped with it was
not usable at all with the NEC drive because of a different layout. One
would have to cut the original NEC bezel shipped with the drive, but
this i considered unacceptable for esthetical reasons.

There are matching UltraBay 2000 bezels for this very drive but they are
obviously hard to find. I got one from an eBay dealer who sells ready
made retrofitted modern DVD burner drives for UltraBay 2000 after
politely asking by private mail. He sent me one for very little money as
an exception because i told him that i already had the rest of the
UltraBay 2000 frame.

If you don't mind the few extra bucks involved, you could probably find
ready made solutions for your thinkpad on eBay or some other online
store. It would save you quite some hassles.

>    o was there any need to update firmware, drivers, etc ?

No, it just worked out of the box after having installed all the
software necessary for DVD/CD writing.