[ltp] ADS Tech InstantMusic under Linux? (success!)

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:57:39 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Richard Neill wrote:

> Mendel Cooper wrote:

> > Just got an ADS Tech InstantMusic USB interface to use for "ripping" audio
> > cassettes and vinyl records to digital files.

> > And, in /dev, the following new devices are registered:
> >   mixer2
> >   audio2
> >   dsp2

> It will probably also be recognised by ALSA capable software. I'd
> suggest you start with audacity.

Thanks!

I downloaded the Audacity rpm and installed it (had some dependencies --
libsndfile and wxGTK).

Then, it's just a matter of setting the Audacity preferences for the
recording device, in the Preferences/Audio IO menu, to /dev/dsp2 (as
per above).

It works fine, with tolerable distortion. I'm recording from a
Walkman-type portable recorder I got on discount at $5 new.

If, on your system, /dev/dsp2 doesn't work, then, after connecting up
the USB gizmo, go to the /dev directory and do a "ls -lt | more" and
look at the new devices which were registered. One of these, probably
with a dsp or audio prefix, will be the one you want to set Audacity for.

Gotta love this group. Quick and helpful answers, as usual. Again, thanks.