[ltp] [HW troubleshooting] No longer runs when undocked... :-/

Daniel Déchelotte linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:26:02 +0200

Hi,

I have a mini-dock station and my T41 runs fine when docked. When I
undock it though, or when I boot it undocked, it freezes in a matter
of seconds or minutes. It can be on AC, on battery or on both, no matter
what, it ends up freezing, sometimes during the BIOS sequence, sometimes
at the grub screen, sometimes during the linux booting sequence (but I
could not go so far as to have a login prompt).

It _seems_ that the longer I let it rest between two attempts, the
longer it runs before freezing. If I reboot it immediately after a
freeze, the LCD screen may not even light up. No beeps, no crazy fan
noise...

Oh, and it worked normally just two or three days ago, the last time I
took the laptop to work. PC-Doctor (from IBM CDs) hasn't found anything
suspicious.

Any idea?

PS: I am leaving tomorrow for two weeks, with no Internet connection,
so unless someone is real fast, I will receive your answer(s) and reply
to the list in two weeks.
All the best,
--
Daniel Déchelotte