[ltp] sound weirdness with X60s + ubuntu 7.04

Justin Mazzola Paluska linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 07:31:36 -0400

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 05:51:27AM -0400, Anirudh Ramachandran wrote:
> This is when I started suspecting it's a hardware issue (like that
> wireless on/off button near on the front edge... a friend spent almost
> one day recompiling kernels before he realized the switch had
> accidentally been tripped). I found this thread after a little
> googling:

In this vein, have you made sure that it’s not muted?  There are the
three audio buttons at the top-left of the keyboard.  Under Linux, if
you mute it, it will stay muted no matter what you try to do with the
ALSA mixer.   Pressing the “volume up” button a few times seems to
give ALSA control over the volume again.

You can tell when it’s muted because the computer won’t beep, while it
will beep (loudly) when it’s not muted.
	—Justin