[ltp] sound weirdness with X60s + ubuntu 7.04

Martin Lorenz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 17:36:36 +0200

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 07:31:36AM -0400, Justin Mazzola Paluska wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 05:51:27AM -0400, Anirudh Ramachandran wrote:
> > This is when I started suspecting it's a hardware issue (like that
> > wireless on/off button near on the front edge... a friend spent almost
> > one day recompiling kernels before he realized the switch had
> > accidentally been tripped). I found this thread after a little
> > googling:
>=20
> In this vein, have you made sure that it=E2=80=99s not muted?  There are =
the
> three audio buttons at the top-left of the keyboard.  Under Linux, if
> you mute it, it will stay muted no matter what you try to do with the
> ALSA mixer.   Pressing the =E2=80=9Cvolume up=E2=80=9D button a few times=
 seems to
> give ALSA control over the volume again.
>=20
> You can tell when it=E2=80=99s muted because the computer won=E2=80=99t b=
eep, while it
> will beep (loudly) when it=E2=80=99s not muted.

I have a similar issue, which I work around by manually running alsaconf
after reboot (suspend to ram won't hurt sound)
I haven't looked any deeper into it because the workaround is OK.=20

X60s, kernel 2.6.20.3

gruss
  mlo
--
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Lorenz

            They that can give up essential liberty=20
	    to obtain a little temporary safety=20
	    deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                   Benjamin Franklin

please encrypt your mail to me