[ltp] vertical lines error on the lcd screen

U Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:02:58 +0200

Hi Francois

Francois Maltey wrote:
> My T42 makes vertical lines error on the lcd screen one time per hour
> since yesterday.
>
> I make no system update and the laptop runs with an old debian testing.
>
> I think it's an hardware problem. What can I do ?
>
> Is it only a connector which is missconnect ? (which one ?)
> Or must the video card be replaced ?
>
> I must do an hot (or cold) reboot.
> Restarting the gnome-X11 isn't enought.
> Then the console screen is also ill : design of the letters aren't right.

Let's try to figure out the problem. Are the vertical lines shown in
regular intervals, e.g. every 16 Pixels or so? Or is the pattern rather
irreguar?

There are a number of parts that could cause the problem. It could be
the video RAM, or the subsystem that transmits the pixel data to the
screen (I think it is done digital and serially), or the subsystem in
the screen that converts the data to the actual screen picture. Maybe
also something more...

How old is the laptop? Do you still have warranty left?

Regards
Ulrich