[ltp] vertical lines error on the lcd screen

Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:57:21 +0000

Francois Maltey wrote:

>Hello everybody !
>
>My T42 makes vertical lines error on the lcd screen one time per hour
>since yesterday.
>
>I make no system update and the laptop runs with an old debian testing.
>
>I think it's an hardware problem. What can I do ?
>
>Is it only a connector which is missconnect ? (which one ?)
>Or must the video card be replaced ?
>
>I must do an hot (or cold) reboot.
>Restarting the gnome-X11 isn't enought.
>Then the console screen is also ill : design of the letters aren't right.
>
>Have a nice day !
>
>Francois, from France.

Im a thinkpad dealer in the UK and advise the following.
 Unless your experienced in dismantling thinkpads, do not do so as you
may do some other damage which is of course not covered by warranty.
Find or borrow a knoppix live CD, boot that and see if the problem is
still there. IE you are running your thinkpad off the cd, not the hard
drive.
 If the problem is still there,  then its a waranty repair. if the
problem is not there then it is a softwear problem, tho I favour the former.
 Many times however it might just be the ribbon cable to screen
connector that wants unplugging and reconnecting. that often fixes your
kind of problem thats behind the sceen. Again do not try to dismantle
unless youve done it before. You might void your valuable warranty.
If you find you have to send it in under warranty REMOVE the hard
drive., and take some digital pictures of your thinkpad  with the
problem on record.
 also pictures of the ram compartment open  with the ram exposed.
By doing this you have a record IF you find the warranty repair shop
(not neccesarily ibm run)  do more damage , leave screws out steal
memory etc.
When you talk to them ask if they are IBM?  and get the name of the
person you talked to. Keep a record of all calls and emails.
Ted Dorset UK