[ltp] vertical lines error on the lcd screen

Oisin Feeley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:41:59 -0400

Perhaps the OP is lucky and the video corruption isn't due to an
unseated GPU, but if he is then there are the two options of:
1) get an entire new motherboard
2) fix the broken solder joints

As James points out what needs to be done is "resoldering" or
"reworking".  Apparently the problem of chips popping loose from BGAs
is something that happens not just on Thinkpads.  There's a very
informative post here:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?p=238029#238029
which explains how it might be possible to resolder the chip.

Alternatively it seems as though there are a few companies that will
do this.  I'm waiting for a quote from JonhsonComputer
http://www.johnsoncomputer.us/motherboard.html

Oisin