Resoldering the GPU? [was Re: [ltp] vertical lines error on the lcd screen]

Bill Andrus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 14:02:18 -0400

11:03:32 AM:<br>
&gt; On 4/3/07, James Knott &lt;james.knott@rogers.com&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; Oisin Feeley wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; On 4/3/07, Bill Andrus &lt;languru@us.ibm.com&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; &nbsp;&gt; (vertical lines, console mode text garbled...)<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; Your System Board has failed. &nbsp;The ATI display
chips are on a PCB<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; carrier<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; that is soldered into the main PCB, and (usually due
to flexing or<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; pressure<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; around the spacebar and trackpoint buttons) the internal
soldering has<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; broken. &nbsp;Problem in its earliest stages will be
temperature and pressure<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; sensitive, later it will become more pronounced with
system<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; freeze-ups and<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;&gt; reboots.<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; I've heard people talk about sending the board to have the
solder<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; &quot;re-fluxed&quot; to correct this problem. &nbsp;Do
you have any idea if this is<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; really possible?<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; &quot;Re-fluxing&quot; wouldn't do much, as flux is only used
during soldering.<br>
&gt; &gt; Howver, problems can often be resolved by resoldering intermittent<br>
&gt; &gt; connections.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Sorry, I mean &quot;re-flowing&quot;.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; So, what about reflowing the solder then? &nbsp;Has anyone had success
with<br>
&gt; doing that themselves or with sending it for repair somewhere (and
if<br>
&gt; so what sort of price would it be?).<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; In this link the poster talks about having a screen corruption issue<br>
&gt; similar to the OP which he fixed by resoldering the video chip himself<br>
&gt; http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_garbled_screen<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; In this link the poster describes the problem which I have (similar
to<br>
&gt; the OP's with the screen displaying gradually creeping downward<br>
&gt; horizontal lines, but the system becoming entirely unresponsive. &nbsp;This<br>
&gt; is a T40 with an ATI Radeon Mobility M7 graphics chip.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_video_related_system_lockup_II<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I've disassembled extensively and have concluded that the problem
is<br>
&gt; probably due something like this (can't see any obvious cracks on
the<br>
&gt; board but lightly flexing it in that area does cause lock ups. &nbsp;I
can<br>
&gt; use the machine for days on end without any symptoms if I just use
a<br>
&gt; USB keyboard/mouse, but I'd like to have a portable laptop again ;)<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; As you can tell, I don't know anything about soldering (I used to
make<br>
&gt; crude electronics projects when I was a child, but that was a long<br>
&gt; time ago and I've forgotten any skill I had), so I'd rather not do
it<br>
&gt; myself. &nbsp;The laptop is no longer under warranty, so I'd need
to pay<br>
&gt; whatever it takes and it's only a T40. &nbsp;So, is it cost-effective
to<br>
&gt; have a &quot;board shop&quot; (if I can find one in Canada) do this,
or should I<br>
&gt; just go crazy and try it myself?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Oisin<br>
for around US$200, IBM has great </font></tt>
and an excellent Hardware </font></tt>
series. &nbsp;New system boards run</font></tt>
to take your US$100 and </font></tt>
that service working for this</font></tt>
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -
Arthur C. Clarke<br>