[ltp] Open SUSE + ThinkPad T43p + DockStation + IBM LCD - no external LCD

AV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 17:40:49 +0300

On 4/5/07, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/5/07, AV <linuksas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have installed ATI driver from yast repository www2.ati.com/suse/10.2/.
> > ATI "fglrx" driver kernel module version is 8.33.6_2.6.18.2_34.1-1.1 .
> > xorg-x11 version is 7.2-146.1 . Is my driver latest or not? Where I can find
> > "git head" driver or latest release candidate?
> >

> I don't know what you need to do with fglrx.

My video card is ATI Mobility FireGL V3200 (M24 GL 3154). In my
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file in Section "Device" there is a line Driver
"fglrx". So I assume that my video card driver is fglrx...? If I
understand correct without that I can not run 3D stuff (Compiz or
Beryl)...?

> The's the binary driver
> ati provides.  I'm talking about the opensource xorg ati driver.  It
> should be included with your distro.

Well, with standard OpenSUSE 10.2 driver I can not run 3D stuff...

> > > Just set monitorlayout to "LVDS, TMDS"
> >
> > Where I have to put that line?
>
> in the device section of your xorg.conf:
> Option "monitorlayout" "LVDS, TMDS"

I will try it and post results back.

> long story short, using the bios switching will not work in your
> configuration.  when you press fn-XX the bios executes functions that
> mess with the hardware to change the behvior of the laptop.  in the
> case of fn-f7, it fiddles with the registers on the radeon to turn
> on/off certain outputs.  The bios only knows how to do certain things.
>  When you load thinkpad-acpi/ibm-acpi you can configure it to
> disconnect the bios calls fromteh fn button events.  you can then
> assign commands to those events.  xrandr is a command to change the
> configuration of your screens in X.  fglrx has a similar tool, IIRC.

If I understand correct I have to download thinkpad-acpi/ibm-acpi (it
is the same package, yes?) module, load it and then play with it. Is
it has something to do with KMilo plugin in KDE Control Center
(kcontrol), under System Administration --> IBM Thinkpad Laptop? There
is something about "nvram" module and IBM ThinkPad buttons there to...

To change resolution I use KDE program KRandRTray (it is GUI for randr
I think). Now in KRandRTray configuration I see that there is only one
Display. So I think that I have to ad second display? But how? Now I
am at home and do not have dock... What will be if I connect directly
to my thinkpad VGA port my home 17" LCD monitor and try to configure
second monitor with Sax (OpenSUSE conf tool for X)? But when I will be
at work, there is other 19" monitor and that configuration will not
work...? What I have to do to have universal configuration for second
monitor/projector?

Thank you for patience.

A.