[ltp] Dying HD

Steve Thompson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 16:55:01 -0400 (EDT)

--- Benjamí Villoslada <benjami@gmail.com> wrote:

> El Dissabte 07 Abril 2007 21:37, Laurent Gilson va escriure:
> > The BIOS limits are at 8, 32 and 128GB. If it can use 40GB then it
> should
> > be able to see and use up to 128GB.
> >
> > But check the physical hight of the unit. Not every oversized HD fits
> > into all thinkpads.
>
> The actual disk is very slim, thanks!
> 9,5 mm: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/dk/2/23ea40spec.html

>From what I gather, most drives are made to this size -- at least the ones
being sold retail around here.

Last month I noticed I was running low on space and went out and bought a
Fujitsu 120GB drive as a replacement.  I must have got lucky because this
model gives four times the performance on sequential access; where I was
getting about 10MB per second with the OEM Hitachi 40G, the Fujitsu
sustains just under 40GB per second.  I can't obviously attest to the
long-term reliability of the drive, but it's probably better than a WD (my
subjective opinion).

Regards,

Steve

--

hdparm -I data:

/dev/hda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       FUJITSU MHV2120AH
        Serial Number:      NT59T6B29LUL
        Firmware Revision:  000000A0
Standards:
        Supported: 7 6 5 4
        Likely used: 7
Configuration:
        Logical         max     current
        cylinders       16383   16383
        heads           16      16
        sectors/track   63      63
        --
        CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
        LBA    user addressable sectors:  234441648
        device size with M = 1024*1024:      114473 MBytes
        device size with M = 1000*1000:      120034 MBytes (120 GB)
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
        Queue depth: 1
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific
minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
        Advanced power management level: 254 (0xfe)
        Recommended acoustic management value: 254, current value: 254
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=240ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
        Enabled Supported:
           *    READ BUFFER cmd
           *    WRITE BUFFER cmd
           *    Host Protected Area feature set
           *    Look-ahead
           *    Write cache
           *    Power Management feature set
                Security Mode feature set
           *    SMART feature set
           *    Mandatory FLUSH CACHE command
           *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
           *    Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
                SET MAX security extension
                Power-Up In Standby feature set
                Advanced Power Management feature set
           *    DOWNLOAD MICROCODE cmd