[ltp] Thinkpad X31 - Intriguing Hard Freeze - Semi-Random but Reproducible

Peter Heatwole linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 15:59:55 -0700

------=_Part_19303_13140406.1176073195362

Hello,

First, apologies if this has been answered on the mailing-list previously. I
spent a good amount of time googling but I never found a combination of
search terms that produced a fix, so here I am.

I just bought a Thinkpad X31, all standard components. I am using the Gentoo
2006.1 livecd for my operating system (both livecd version and installed
onto the harddrive). It uses kernel 2.6.17, and have also tried a
self-compiled 2.6.20.7.

In short, the computer demonstrates random hard lockups. (The computer must
be powered down and restarted.) The most consistent way I can reproduce this
is to play a high defintion video in mplayer. (For example the 720p trailer
for Unreal Tournament 2007.) Videos cause the computer to lockup in both
linux, Windows 2000 (with and without SP4), and Windows XP. (Note it does
not always crash the first run through, nor in the same spot of the movie.)

However, the computer has also locked up twice in plain linux consoles
(bash, no framebuffer) while compiling some large packages, and also
consistently in Memtest86 3.3 (but not with memtest86+ 1.70). Both memtest86
and memtest86+ were run via bootable CD.

It gives every appearance of the randomness of thermal issues, but thermal
conditions seem nominal (never reaching above 66 degrees celsius, the fan
seems to work well).

I have tested the memory for 15+ hours in memtest86+ (note memtest86
freezes). I also tried replacing the memory with known good sticks from my
main computer (both PC2100).

I did find some xorg.conf settings on this list that largely alleviates the
problem when playing the hi-def trailer. If all I do is play the video,
everything runs just great.  However, if I simultaneously play the trailer
_and_ compile glibc or sync portage (intensive operation, downloads a bunch
of little files and updates the local Gentoo package database) it freezes
the machine.  Something about this added stress brings down the computer.
Also, I repeat that I have had hard lockups in plain consoles, no graphics
involved.

If you're still with me, thanks very much for your time. _Any_ suggestions
would be very welcome.

Sincerely,
-- Peter