[ltp] re: Thinkpad X31 - Intriguing Hard Freeze

Alan Phillips linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:54:19 -0400

>Thinkpad X31, all standard components. [...] In short, the computer
demonstrates random >hard lockups.

Your description of the lockup problem really sounds like a RAM issue.
The Thinkpads can be very finicky with RAM. You may have marginal RAM
that runs fine in another computer but is causing intermittent
problems with your Thinkpad.

FWIW, I had similar lockup problems with an X30. I spent considerable
time troubleshooting and for a few months I thought the problem was
related to specific actions I was doing while using the computer.
Eventually I could not find a usage pattern that would reproduce the
problem.

Finally I took the machine apart and used compressed air to blow all
of the dust off of the fan and surrounding area. Then I ran the
memtest86+ memory tests for many days. After 150 passes I would swap
the RAM sticks and run more tests, recording test results after each
run.

I noticed that the memory tests sometimes would not show a problem
until 100 or more passes. In the end I isolated the problem to a RAM
stick which I returned to Kingston. They sent a replacement and I have
had no lockup issues for about 5 months.

Alan