[ltp] Thinkpad X30, 2.6.21-rc5, and the hdaps module.

Andrew J. Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 09 Apr 2007 22:07:54 -0400

Steve Thompson wrote:
>> I think the 200MHz frequency (and anything below 600MHz) that Windows
>> (and evidently the BIOS) reports is the result of SpeedStep + processor
>> C-states. This is at least the case for the Pentium-M in my R51. You
>> will see this number if you use gkrellm-x86info, for instance.
>
> I blew away the entire Windows install so I can't verify this.  Yet, the
> mp3 playback under those conditions is consistent with a system running at
> 200MHz that reports that it is running at 700+Mhz.

Check your cpufreq settings. It's possible that you are being held at
the low end of your possible clock speeds--perhaps by a max freq setting
or by the 'powersave' governor. gnome-power-manager should take care of
this in recent versions, or alternatively you can install a daemon such
as powernowd (not related to the AMD processor technology) or cpufreqd.
powernowd is an install-and-go kind of program, whereas cpufreqd is
highly configurable.

ACPI C-states are not configurable by the user as far as I know, the
kernel and the firmware handle this themselves.

Andrew