[ltp] fingerprint reader on T60 with Ubuntu Edgy

Peter Matulis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:21:51 -0400 (EDT)

I'm running on Ubuntu Edgy on my T60 and I'm having trouble getting the
fingerprint reader to work.  So far I'm trying with the binary drivers.

This is what I installed:

BIOAPI Framework
http://www.qrivy.net/~michael/temp/bioapi_1.2.3_i386.deb

TFMESS BioAPI BSP for Linux
http://www.upek.com/support/dl_linux_bsp.asp

For the above, I compiled the Sample binary and successfully enrolled
and verified a print:

# gcc -o Sample main.c -L/usr/local/lib -lbioapi100 -DUNIX
-DLITTLE_ENDIAN
# ./Sample

I then installed a PAM for bioapi:
http://www.nax.cz/pub/bioapi/pam_bioapi/pam-bioapi_0.3.0.tar.gz

This version of uses sqlite so first needed to install some more stuff:

apt-get install libpam0g-dev
apt-get install sqlite3
apt-get install libsqlite3-dev

Then I set up this pam and sqlite:

$ cat /etc/pam.d/test-pam_bioapi
auth required pam_bioapi.so {5550454b-2054-464d-2f45-535320425350}
/etc/bioapi/pam/bioshadow.db :0

% sudo sqlite3 /etc/bioapi/pam/bioshadow.db
sqlite> CREATE TABLE biodata (id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,uid INTEGER,uuid
TEXT, header BLOB,data BLOB,signature BLOB,type INTEGER,other BLOB);

But when I try to enroll a user I don't know what to do:

# test_enroll-pam_bioapi

==> called pam_start()
  got: `Success'
Please enter username: pmatulis
==> called pam_chauthtok()
  got: `User not known to the underlying authentication module'
==> called pam_end()
  got: `Success'

Thanks for any pointers!

Peter