[ltp] T43 (2668-89U) and sleep/hibernate

Igor V. Rafienko linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:47:32 +0200 (CEST)

on Apr 13, 2007, 08:59, matthew.garman@gmail.com wrote:

> Does anyone have suspend-to-RAM/sleep and suspend-to-disk/hibernate
> working 100% reliably on their T43?

I have sus-to-ram working reliably on a 2669-model with ATI X300 (and I
am working on a solution with hibernate to an encrypted partition).

[ ... ]

> I've reached the point of desperation in trying to get suspend to work
> reliably: I've been fighting this off and on for the last year since I
> purchased the laptop.  What I'm hoping for is to just be pointed to a
> distribution and exact set of config files to make it all work.

Start here: <http://whoopie.gmxhome.de/linux/patches/2.6.20/>.
Get a recent kernel (2.6.20.6, e.g.).
Get the latest ati-drivers, 8.35.5.

For testing suspend-to-ram, you could try unloading all the drivers that
you can, suspend (echo mem > /sys/power/state), and resume. Then you can
add drivers one by one to find out if any of them is causing the problems.

Passing acpi_sleep=s3_bios to the kernel may also be advisable.

> Where I'm at now is this: suspend-to-RAM is totally random (and
> generally it fails with a hard-locked machine).

I had this issues several times recently. Each time it was traced to
alsa-drivers, so you may want to try suspending without alsa on the first
few tries.

> Supend-to-disk usually works once after a cold boot.  Subsequent
> suspends work *sometimes*.

Are you using suspend2-patches?

ivr