[ltp] Issues with t23 debian etch netinst

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 Apr 2007 08:24:20 -0500

* Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@charter.net> [2007 Apr 14 06:48 -0500]:
> I have been running linux on a t23 for several years with no problems.
> However, since using the debian etch netinst cd to install recently after
> a hard drive replacement, I do have some issues.
>
> 1. Pressing the "volume down" button on the t23 does allow the volume to
> go down but also produces a beep and a tilde each time I press it. Is
> there keymapping or some other solution for this? I never had this problem
> on previous installs.

I have been running Sid for some time on my T23 and have never seen
this issue.  I do run X most of the time, so maybe that has something
to do with it.  I also have Etch installed in another partition that I
don't use much, but I haven't noticed anything unusual.

> 2. Because my t23 still has the bios with which it came, using acpi
> produces errors. I'm reluctant to risk an upgrade of the bios because (1)
> if it goes wrong my thinkpad could be an expensive paper-weight,

I did the BIOS upgrade some time back.  The only drawback is that it
requires a Windows installation to run.  It did clean up the ACPI
issues I noticed and since then it has been flawless.

> 3. I'm also getting little noises from this computer that I didn't get
> before--don't know if that's due to the netinst or not. They are pretty
> hard to describe: sort of a quiet click but not like a repeated banging or
> anything. I was concerned enough to take it back to the place that
> installed the new hard drive and they decided that hard drive was
> defective. But now I've reinstalled and am getting the same little sounds,
> though nothing functionally appears to be wrong and smartmontools isn't
> reporting any errors. Does anybody know if this is normal or what this
> could be--sorry, but it's really hard to describe a sound so nobody may
> know what I'm talking about.

I haven't noticed this either, but maybe it is the newer kernel not
being able to work well with the older BIOS that is causing the noise.
It sounds like you're describing the sound of a hard drive parking
itself.

HTH,

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.