[ltp] Q: Loud system beep

Sat, 14 Apr 2007 18:52:38 +0100

Alexey I. Froloff wrote:
> System beep (PC speaker emulation) is too loud on my X41,
> especially when using headphones.  It still scares the sh*t out
> of me even on minimal volume.  Soundcard mixer set to 70-80%%,
> movie/music volume is OK, it's only system beep sound that is
> bothering me and I don't want to (read: too lazy to setup) use
> visual bell.  Is there any way to make it softer?

Here's what I do with KDE. It has the added advantage of reducing
latency, so that beeps are no longer 1/4 sec late.

     * kcontrol->LookNFeel->System Notifications->Player Settings->Use
external player.
     * External player is sox_aplay.sh
     * In ~/bin/, I have the following script named sox_aplay.sh:

       #!/bin/bash
       #Play audio file immediately (avoid arts startup delay). Volume
decreased to 0.4
       sox "$1" -t wav -v 0.4 - | aplay

Extra bonus: you can completely disable ARTS.

HTH,

Richard