[ltp] Q: Loud system beep

Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:30:09 +0100

Henrik Enberg wrote:
> "Alexey I. Froloff" <raorn@cnt.ru> writes:
>> System beep (PC speaker emulation) is too loud on my X41,
>> especially when using headphones.  It still scares the sh*t out
>> of me even on minimal volume.  Soundcard mixer set to 70-80%%,
>> movie/music volume is OK, it's only system beep sound that is
>> bothering me and I don't want to (read: too lazy to setup) use
>> visual bell.  Is there any way to make it softer?
>
> You can turn it off completely pretty easily.  Just put "install pcspkr
> true" on a line by itself in "/etc/modules", and it should be dead on
> next boot.  "modprobe -r pcspkr" to kill it on a running system.

Are you talking about:

a)The "real" pc speaker, (pcspkr), which never actually exists as a
separate speaker on a thinkpad, but has its own channel in the soundcard,

or

b)pc speaker emulation, caused eg by KDE system notification.

In the former case, you should have a separate mixer device for it; you
can also make it quieter by making it *shorter*. Use xset.

Richard