[ltp] T43 (2668-89U) and sleep/hibernate

Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:12:41 -0500

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 07:40:33PM -0400, azazello wrote:
> matthew.garman@gmail.com wrote:
> >Does anyone have suspend-to-RAM/sleep and suspend-to-disk/hibernate
> >working 100% reliably on their T43?
> >
> >I've got a T43 2668-89U, which includes the ATI x300 video card.
> <snip>
>
> You've provided very little information. What distro do you use?
> What method do you use to suspend? What are the symptoms when you
> wake up (does the backlight come on, is there anything on the
> screen, is it really hard locked or does e.g. caps lock work?)
> Userland scripts which handle suspend and hibernate in some
> distros do a hell of a lot more than just tell the kernel to
> suspend. There is a ton of service restarts and a bunch of hacks
> involved.

I'm using gentoo, kernel "suspend2-sources" (a gentoo package, which
is the kernel.org kernel plus gentoo's patches plus swsuspend2
patches).  I'm using the "hibernate" and "hibernate-ram" scripts.

Generally, the problem isn't with waking, it's with suspending.  For
suspend-to-disk, when *usually* happens is the screen goes blank
(totally black), the "moon" light starts blinking, and it just stays
like that forever (moon light still blinking).  The machine is
totally hard-locked: caps lock doesn't work, ctl-alt-delete doesn't
do anything, nada.  I must push and hold the power button to shut
down the machine.

With suspend-to-ram, it's a mixed bag.  Most typically, the screen
goes blank, then the moon light starts flashing, then those other
two lights (the caps lock light and the other one) start blinking
simultaneously.  Machine is hard-locked as described above.

I'm suspending using the hibernate scripts package ("hibernate" and
"hibernate-ram").

I'm not opposed to changing distros.  That's why I was hoping I
could catch someone on this list who has all this working.  I want
to run Linux on this machine, but more than that I want to actually
*use* it.  Generally I'm not opposed to trouble-shooting/trial and
error, but all that is keeping me from being able to do real work on
the T43.  So I'm basically at the point now where, if I can't get
this working in less time than it would take to put Windows back on
and install Cygwin, then I'll just take the latter route.

Thank you,
Matt