[ltp] Lenovo T60 P 2613 and SUSE linux- sound issues

Sun, 15 Apr 2007 13:17:07 +0100

Dear Jay,

It looks like you have all the hard stuff already in place - the kernel
modules (drivers) are loaded correctly, and you have a sound-device.

Try running gnome-alsamixer, or alsamixergui  (if not installed, then
install them first). Then check that all the volumes are turned up!

I know this sounds obvious, but at least on Fedora (FC5), the default
install had all the volumes muted! And some volume control applets don't
show all the features of your sound card.

[Possibly, you might have something locking the sound card, but that's
unlikely.]

Also, how do you know that your sound isn't working? What are you doing
to test it?

If you still have trouble:

1)As root, do:     lsof | grep dsp
   (do you see anything?)

2)As root, do:
   cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp
  (do you hear loud noise?).  Stop it with Ctrl-C

Richard