[ltp] Hard drive sound/noise

Fredrik Wendt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 21:41:24 +0200

Tino Keitel wrote:

> What filesystem did you use before? Maybe ext2? And now ext3 in Etch?
> Then it may be the ext3 journal that is written every 5 seconds per
> default.

This is _so_ annoying. Is there a way to disable this write-through
stuff? My hard drive makes more noise than the fan when it's working on
it's lowest pace. (echo 0x2F 0x01 > /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump)

hdparm -y /dev/sda makes my day - for a few seconds.

Is there anything I can do, except go back to ext2?

Are there any really silent disks I could replace the current (FUJITSU
MHV2080B  Rev: 0084) with, to get out of this "ticking bomb sound" I'm
bringing wherever I go..

Thanks in advance,

	Fredrik