[ltp] Hard drive sound/noise

Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:42:43 +0200

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 21:41:24 +0200, Fredrik Wendt wrote:
> Tino Keitel wrote:
>
> > What filesystem did you use before? Maybe ext2? And now ext3 in Etch?
> > Then it may be the ext3 journal that is written every 5 seconds per
> > default.
>
> This is _so_ annoying. Is there a way to disable this write-through
> stuff? My hard drive makes more noise than the fan when it's working on
> it's lowest pace. (echo 0x2F 0x01 > /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump)

First, try this:

mount -o remount,commit=60 /

Repeat this with all your ext3 mount points.

Now the clicks should only occur every few minutes if the system is
idle.

If this helps, you might want to try out laptop-mode, which does some
things to spin down the hard disk when idle, and the above commit mount
option is included.

Regards,
Tino